2012, ICCHP co-operated with the network eAccess+ (supported by the European Commission through its ICTPSP Programme) and with the initiative Project:Possibility to set up a students competition in coding for open source AT and eAccessibilitysolutions for people with disabilities.
A first competition in Europe was held in 2011/2012 with a final taking place at ICCHP 2012 in Linz, Austria.
To promote this important idea in Europe, ICCHP further supports Project:Possibility and the SS12 Coding competitions.
The next events and finals will take place:
- introduces the power and the need of eAccessibility to the next generation of software engineers
- brings students in contact with the eAccessiblity and AT field and in particular with end users
- contributes to easy and fast solutions of pressing AT and eAccessibility problems outlined and defined by users
- releases code as open source which should facilitate an easier path towards products and services.
- University and college students in computer science/engineering with a strong background in software engineering willing to take part in such a competition.
- Faculty staff teaching software engineering and related courses willing to involve students in the Project:Possibility competition.
- End users and experts willing to define pressing AT and eAccessibility problems to be solved.
- AT and eAccessibility experts willing to support and consult student groups - eg Mentors.
- Facilitators and sponsors supporting the coding events and finals.
- University representatives who are willing to support this competition.
We call for expression of interest: If you belong to one of the above groups, please get in contact with
Format and Invitation
For detailed information on how a Project:Possibility event is organised and what the roles of the different groups are, please refer to the SS12 Website. SS12 is a US based software development competition running since 2007. The toolkit will be expanded over the next months.
eAccess+ together with ICCHP intend to put a Project:Possibility event 2013 within the framework of AAATE 2013 conference in place.
Timeline 2013 (AAATE - Event)
- Call for Expression of Interest: Till December 15, 2012
- List of universities which will be involved: January, 2013
- Call for students open till February 2013
- List of projects and consulting end users groups and experts: March 2013
- National Coding activities: March - End of May 2013
- Selection of national finalists: June 2013.
- Refinement of national winner projects, preparing presentation and travel: July / August 2013
- European P:P final and judging panel: September 19 - 20 2013, within the framework of AAATE conference
- Awarding the European P:P winner: September 22, 2013 on the occasion of AAATE plenary session.