Developing and Using Effective Symbols for Audio Tactile Maps - ATMAPS
- Idea: A number of standardizations / specifications have been proposed for tactile symbols used in tactile maps in the past. However, in the case of Audio-Tactile maps, in addition to tactile symbols and Braille labels, audio and audio-tactile symbols are used as well. We intend to disseminate the recent results of the collaborative efforts under the European ATMAPS project towards the specification / standardization of symbols used in audio-tactile maps.
- Goals: The participants will learn how to select appropriate point, linear and surface symbols for the development of effective audio-tactile maps used in education and training of Individuals with Visual Impairment. They will receive access to a library of audio-tactile symbols specified for a wide spectrum of maps, such as political, physical, historic, thematic maps as well as mobility maps of the inner space of buildings, neighborhoods/residential areas or campuses. Moreover, they will experience appropriate audio-tactile devices with the use of a political-physical audio-tactile atlas of Europe.
This workshop is an activity of the Project “Specification of symbols used on Audio-Tactile Maps for individuals with blindness” (ATMAPS) “Project Nr 543316-LLP-1-2013-1-GR-KA3-KA3MP thathas been funded with support from the European Commission. This Workshop reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein”.
- Target groups: Individuals with visual impairment, teachers of Individuals with visual impairment, Assistive Technologies specialists, rehabilitation specialists, Orientation and Mobility specialists, designers of Orientation and Mobility aids.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Maximum number of participants: 40
- Registration: by eMail until July 10, latest
- Tuesday - 12th July 2016 13:30 - 16:30 Location: K 153C